Sunday, April 20, 2008

Twins Win Series

The Twins took the series against the Indians today with a 2-1 victory this afternoon. And for the first time this season (that I can remember) I'm struggling to only name three stars... but here it goes.

Three Stars:
Scott Baker - 7 IP, 5 H, ER, BB, 8 K, 100 Pitches. It's really too bad that Baker got a "no-decision" for his gem today. More on Baker later...
Brendan Harris - 3 for 5, HR, RBI, 2 (both) runs. Harris got the first right-handed HR for the Twins this afternoon. He still has apparent defensive short-comings, but he's been a very good hitter (.322); unfortunately, Harris's sucess may keep him in the 2-hole... and Mauer in the 3rd spot. (NOOOOO!!!) More on this later...

Now for my dilemma: Carlos Gomez or Justin Morneau? Morneau may be the obvious choice because of his game-winning hit. But in my mind, had Gomez not made a brilliant catch in the 9th, the Indians win. Game over. Lights out. And for that reason...

Carlos Gomez - 0 for 5 (yikes!), 1 spectacular diving catch. Dick Bremer might have gotten one thing right: No one in the major leagues makes that catch... except for Carlos Gomez. Go Go Gomez Dive. (That's for you Tim.)

Now for a little more on Scott Baker. After today's game, his PBR is 14. What that means is if he can throw 100 pitches per ballgame, he'll only have 7.14 baserunners per start. That would lend itself (hopefully) to 1- and 2-run starts. And that, my friends, should help the ballclub get wins. I've read discussions about "#1 or ACE". In my opinion, an Ace is a #1 on any staff. A #1 is the best pitcher on a given staff. Scott Baker has solidified his status as a #1 on the Twins staff.

As for my take on the lineup, I would like to see this lineup get a try when Cuddyer comes back:
1. Gomez, R, CF
2. Harris, R, 2B
3. Morneau, L, 1B
4. Cuddyer, R, RF
5. Mauer, L, C
6. Young, R, LF
7. Kubel, L, DH
8. Lamb, L, 3B
9. Tolbert, S, SS

Although, I understand (with Everett or Tolbert) having a right/left/right order all the way through. By no means is this a slight on Joe Mauer. Yeah, he hits into the occasional (or more) double play (and it always pisses me off), but he always gives good at-bats and moving him down would provide the Twins with good at-bats while having guys on base. Just my opinion.

The Twins are off tomorrow; they will start a west-coast swing at Oakland on Tuesday night. With no game tomorrow, I am going to try to start something new... a little something called, "If I were..." and I'm going to start this random series with Kevin McHale and looking at the Timberwolves.

Later on!

No comments: