Friday, April 11, 2008

Twins Beat Royals

The Twins got their second win in a row tonight, and the third win of Livan Hernandez's short Twins career. Unfortunately, due to the Wild game, the Twins were bumped from the FSN schedule.

The other big Twins news today was that they recalled Francisco Liriano and placed Kevin Slowey on the DL. Liriano will make his '08 debut on Sunday.

Of minor note, the Twins completed the Craig Monroe trade by sending AAA OF Doug Deeds to the Cubs. Deeds had been injured and hasn't played yet this year. From what I've read about Deeds, he appears to have a decent chance at becoming a major-league player. However, with the Twins young OF (and long-termed Cuddyer), Deeds wasn't going to get a realistic chance with Minnesota's big club.

On to tonight's three stars:
Livan Hernandez (again) - 7 IP, 7 H, BB, 3 K, 99 pitches. 7 and 7 has become somewhat of a nice pattern. Any game the Twins only need to score one run to win is a nice change.
Carlos Gomez - 2 for 5, 2B, 3B, R, 2 two-out RBI. I have not seen highlights of tonight's game yet, but both hits were to the "deep" outfield. How deep? I don't know... but at least he's showing an ability to get on base without bunting.
Matt Tolbert - 3 for 4, RBI, BB. If I'm Adam Everett, or even Mike Lamb, I'm not so certain that I don't become a bench guy. In Everett's case, I'm not so sure I don't get cut. Tolbert has been a stud. He's batting .556 on the year and has an OBP of somewhere around .700 (I think).

The Twins bring Boof to the mound tomorrow night. I'm hoping he can keep it together. I don't think his job is in jeopardy yet. But a rough night might make his seat a little hotter.

In other news, B-W Basketball Alumni Tournament tomorrow. I will be happy as long as I don't break any bones, blow out my knee or have a heart attack. A win (or two, or three) would be nice... but it would really just be icing on the cake.

Have a good weekend.

No comments: