Monday, April 7, 2008

NCAA Title Game

Tonight's game marks the end of the 2007-08 NCAA Basketball season. I don't think many people would have been surprised if you told them that both UNC and UCLA would be in the Final Four. I think they would have been more surprised if you told them both lost to teams that looked much better.

Memphis is a team that was a popular pick as the first #1 seed to go down. A team with a freshman PG... a team that is downright awful at free throws... teams with those faults normally don't last very long in this tournament. Heck, I thought they'd get beat by Michigan State. Well, once the Big Dance started, and the competition got better, so did the free throw shooting. And, Derrick Rose, to put it simply, has been one of (if not) the best players in this tournament. They also are full of other quality players that know their part.

Kansas is a experienced team. I look back to their win against Davidson as "the game" that might get them over the hump. It seems like all teams have a big scare on their way to the championship and for them, well, that game was scary. I really liked the way they came out against UNC. I don't think any team could have overcome that type of start.

I know I've been a little off on a few games, but I think I have a good feeling on these two teams. It's going to come down to Mario Chalmers and Joey Dorsey. For Kansas to win, Chalmers will have to play error-free ball. His assist/turnover ratio will need to be 1.8/1 or higher. The other key for a Jayhawk victory is to get Joey Dorsey in foul trouble. Kansas is pretty deep up front, Memphis is not. I am confident these two things have to happen for Kansas to win. Now granted, if Russell Robinson goes Donald Williams... or CDR has a Webber-esque error, then Kansas could win. However, I'm taking Memphis by 9.

No comments: