Saturday, April 12, 2008

Twins On A Roll

The Twins just wrapped up their third victory in a row with a 2-0 win over the Royals. (That's 18 straight scoreless innings for Twins opponents.)


Just quick notes tonight, 3 stars:

Boof Bonser - 6 IP, 3 H, 4 K, 2 BB. It was nice that Boof got a win, and the fact that he was the starting pitcher in a shutout makes him a star. Now, how much did the weather have to do with Bonser's sucess? I don't know. But I'll take his performance tonight.

Jason Kubel - 2 for 4, HR, RBI, 2 R. The only player to cross the plate tonight. If he can continue to bat well while DH'ing, I think he can become an All-Star caliber-type player. That's some high hope, yes, but let's see how this year plays out. Too often players that have played a lot in the field have a hard time adjusting to only batting. I can only imagine how tough it would be on a cold night like tonight and not even getting to run to and from the dugout. (But I bet the clubhouse is warm.)

Nick Punto - 2 for 3, BB. I've never been a Punto guy. And I won't be. Ever. But you know, Punto has never been in a role like this, well at least not lately. For a guy who's great with the glove and terrible with a bat, it makes little sense to make him your everyday 3B. It does make sense, however, to make a guy like that a defensive replacement/spot starter. It looks like Gardy finally figured it out... and Punto is thriving. Good for him. At least if he can have a reasonably decent year, he'll get a "minor-league contract" from someone next year... probably the Pirates.



In Minor League news: It seems the Twins will be getting back Rule V P Tim Lahey. When the Phillies activated Brad Lidge, they designated Lahey for assignment. To put it simply, what that means is that the Twins can take him back and put him the minors. (The other option would be to trade him, a path the Twins have taken a few times recently.) In my opinion, the Twins would be smart to take him back and place him in Rochester. His long-term potential is as a right-hand bullpen guy.

Well, I've come to the end of my post... but I posted, so that means I didn't die today playing basketball. I made my first shot of the day and missed the rest. (I only took a couple more.) We won one and lost one. Right now I'm feeling ok, but not great. Headache, backache, left knee pain, right hand and elbow pain... but no broken bones!

(And before you consider that first line a jinx, I firmly believe that Liriano will get roughed up early tomorrow. My prediction/hopes: 75-90 pitches - 6 to 7 innings, hopefully - 4 or less ER, 3 or less BB, 7 K, and, most importantly, NO ELBOW PAIN.)

Happy Saturday night!

7 comments:

Tim said...

I can see that you're coming around to Little Nicky Punto!

Jeremy said...

Yeah, as long as he makes one start a week and gets a hit. What do you think, next year, Pirates: 1B Mienkiewicz, 2B Rivas, SS Chris Gomez, 3B Punto? I'd have to be a fan.. plus, they have 9 bobblehead days this year - NO LIE.

Tim said...

That'd be expensive to go to 9 bobblehead days.

Jeremy said...

Yeah... but they do "all fans" so it would cost whatever cheap upper deck cost. It's not like you wouldn't if you had to.

Tim said...

My prediction.

The Royals score more runs than innings Liriano pitches.

Anonymous said...

You guys and your stupid bobbleheads! :)

Tim said...

:o...blasphemy