Friday, April 25, 2008

Dear Brewers Fans

I've had a lot of request for something Brewers... well, here it is. This is also in response to the Brewers Fan that said this to me (Thanks Dan):

"You know... you should blog about the team thats actually going to win its division and make its first World Series appearance since 1982...Kapler. Braun. Fielder. Hart. JJ. Sheets. Milwaukee Brewers. World Series 2008 Champs! YES WE CAN!"

***Before I start, let me preface this by saying that I'm not anti-Brewers. Being in opposite leagues, I don't consider it a rivalry. In fact, if the Twins aren't on, I will watch the Brewers and maybe even hope they win... maybe.***

I like Brewers fans and I'll tell you why. They're always optimistic.

Every year is going to be "The Year".

You know what I'm talking about.

Let me give you a quick overview:
2004: 45-41 at the All-Star break. Everyone thinks it's going to be "the year" the post-season-less strek ends. The Brewers close with a 22-53 record (which just happens to be the worst 2nd half for any .500+ team at the break IN BASEBALL HISTORY). Don't worry, next year for sure.

2005: The Brewers start 3-0! This might be "the year" the Brewers win it all! They lose 10 of their next 12. But wait, they go on a tear in September to close the season at 81-81. You know what that means? That means next year is definately "the year"!

2006: You remember this year. The year when Sheets would win the Cy Young and Carlos Lee would be the NL MVP. And then Sheets got the blisters and then Lee got traded. Brewers Fans stayed optimistic.

2007: It's been 25 years, so this year is going to be "the year" for sure. A crazy good 25-11 start suggested it would be. And then the wheels fell off. Thank God the Mets collapsed, so no one noticed the Brewers fall off the face of the earth. But Ryan Braun was the NL ROY and Prince Fielder hit 50 home runs. So next year has gotta be "the year", right?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves Brewers Fans. Enjoy it while it lasts. I'll tell you, us Twins Fans are getting kinda antsy, we're closing on the 20th Anniversary of our last World Series Victory. I can only imagine how much it sucks to not even be able to celebrate an anniversary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every team in baseball thinks "this is the year"...don't get me started on how many people up in MN say "this is the year"!!!! Now that the Wild are done that's all I hear about, how great the twins are and how great this Go-Go Gomez dude is.......he is TERRIBLE...send him down to Rochester! And I am also sick of hearing how tough there division is. Give it a rest

Jeremy said...

Hey Mr. Anonymous (huge balls!),

Thanks for the comment.

No intelligent Twins Fans feel this is the year. Not after losing our two best players for prospects and draft picks.

I would have liked Go-Go to start the year at AAA. But the reality was he was the best CF option. He will grow to be a 30/30 player, all-star and potential gold glove, but, yeah, right now, he's got a ways to go.

As far the division goes, you'll never read anything here about the strength of the AL Central.