Thursday, April 17, 2008

Rays are the Devil

The Twins were able to manage a split with the Rays after dropping tonight's game 7-3. There was nothing too spectacular. I'll quickly go through my 3 stars:
Matt Tolbert - 2 for 4, 2B, R, RBI. Like I've said before, the SS job might be Tolbert's now. I've posted that I think Everett's roster spot could be in jeopardy... although other more well-known bloggers don't think we've gotten to that point yet. Obviously, no one really knows. I'll go more in-depth on this situation later.
Justin Morneau - 2 for 3, 2B, R, BB. There isn't much too say besides the fact that these are the type of games I expect from the former MVP.
Carlos Gomez - 2 for 4, K. I've read that some bloggers think that when Cuddyer comes back off the DL it should be Gomez - and not Denard Span - that heads to Rochester. Yeah, I know a few days ago I said Gomez should be sent done... but that was only out of frustration. Carlos Gomez needs to play every day, and that needs to come in the major leagues.

(The three guys with multi-hit games. The Twins need offense. The pitching wasn't great tonight, but it wasn't bad enough that they didn't have a chance.)

As for my thoughts on the roster jam:
The Twins are in a situation where they'll soon need to make decisions on both the hitters and the pitchers.

Hitters: When Cuddyer went on the DL, Span was called up. Because Cuddyer was the everyday RF, Span was able to play every day (or close). This is an important step in his development. If Monroe or Kubel had gotten hurt, I don't know that Span would be the guy. The problem that will soon arise is what to do when Cuddyer is ready to come off the DL. Well, my opinion is that the Twins should wait until Cuddyer is more than ready to take over his duties in RF. Originally, I read the Twins would play him as soon as he could hit. And that he'd need to DH until he was ready to play in the field. That would be a mistake. I think the simple, and logical, thing to do would be to send Span back down. I've grown to really like Denard Span. He's patient at the plate, can make good contact, and isn't horrible in the field. Definitely a guy that can play at this level. So what's the problem? To develop, Gomez needs to play every day. Delmon Young is coming off playing 162 games last year, so he won't be needing too many days off. Cuddyer, while healthy, will play a very high percentage of games. And between Cuddy and Monroe, the DH position is covered. (Plus, let's not pull a Tyner and DH a light-hitting OF.) Span needs to develop and he would benefit from playing everyday at Rochester.

The other problem is Adam Everett. He's clearly not healthy. And even if he was, he's not very good. Yes, I realize he's making close to $3 million. Personally, and I know there would be a financial consequence, I would rid myself of him, even if that meant releasing him. I doubt he has much trade value. Tolbert can and should start. I think it's time to re-evaluate what Brian Buscher is capable of doing. If that means he's 2008's version of Randy Bush, fine.

The other door that remains a mystery is Craig Monroe. What does he bring to the table? Would the Twins be better off with Garrett Jones as an option? The problem is that the Twins don't really have a lot of capable right-handed batters. Not that Monroe always seems capable.

Pitchers: This problem may not arise until later, but what do the Twins do when Kevin Slowey comes back? Does he get back into the rotation? And at who's expense? I wouldn't totally mind Liriano coming out of the 'pen until he gets his control back, but the inevitable is that there are 6 pitchers for 5 rotation spots. My best guess is that Slowey rehabs, and then stays at Rochester. Chances are something will happen and he will end back up with the Twins by the first of June. I don't envision the Twins trading away any of these players.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. Enjoy your night.

No comments: