Saturday, May 24, 2008

Yikes! Twins get destroyed

I wasn't going to be home for the game tonight, so I decided to DVR it and watch it when I got home. The Twins got down early, but were playing a decent game. At some point in the 4th inning, I decided I would check my email. I didn't expect to open my internet browser (my home page is ESPN) and see "Tigers score 19" as a headline. Let's just say I didn't need to pay much attention to the rest of the game.

To reiterate what I said earlier today, Juan Rincon needs to be designated for assignment. He wasn't any worse than usual tonight, and compared to Bonser and Bass, he was good. But it's gotten to the point where you know the guy isn't going to get people out without giving up walks, hits and runs. And that's not good for a guy in the bullpen (making a couple million dollars).

I'm going to change my guess. When Scott Baker comes back, it will be Boof Bonser, and not Kevin Slowey, that loses his spot in the rotation. At this point, I'm ready to move on without Boof. I'm not 100% sure how the "waiver-wire" works, but I think the Twins could put him on waivers and if he gets claimed, pull him back or trade him. If he doesn't get claimed, he could be sent down to AAA. Regardless, I don't like Boof in the bullpen. If they could get ANYTHING for him, they should trade him. If they can send him down, I'd be ok with that. But having him in the bullpen just wouldn't benefit anyone... especially the fans.

Finally, I think Brian Bass's roster spot might be in jeopardy. I think the Twins are content with Danny Graves and might just have found an opportunity to make the change.

In short, after a 19-3 loss, something has to be done.

I guess I won't name "three stars" tonight, because I just named "three un-stars".

Looking at the offensive side of the game, they were far from great. Some highlights:
  • Alexi Casilla hit his 2nd HR of the year. I have a hard time believing that he will get sent back down this year. I think he has settled in as the everyday 2B (or whatever middle infield position Punto doesn't start at).
  • Matt Macri had a memorable debut. He finished the game 2 for 3 with an RBI, R, BB and K. When Punto comes back, I think it makes sense for Macri to head back to Rochester, but with games like this, it will make the decision anything but easy.
  • Joe Mauer kept his average at an AL-leading .338.
  • Justin Morneau moved his average up to .311, which is top 10 in the AL.
  • Delmon Young, although hitless, took 2 more walks. He's taken 14 this year, he only took 26 all of last year. Now, if we could just figure out the HRs...
  • The problem was the other 4 batters who combined to go 1 for 17.

Tomorrow afternoon the Twins will try to take the series. Let's hope it's not a repeat performance of tonight.

No comments: