Thursday, May 22, 2008

Twins Split

I wish I had more time to do this, but it's getting late and I'm getting tired.

The Twins lost in 10-innings to the Rangers today. After winning the first two, they drop the last two. They now find themselves 23-24 on the season.

Some thoughts:

The offense appears to be better this than in the past. Without doing any statistical research, I'm throwing this out there based on the simple fact that this year's Twins sometimes score 7 or 8 runs in a single game. The Twins of last year sometimes got lucky if they scored 8 runs over a 3-day period.

With that being said, I'm not sure how. Obviously, Mauer is still Mauer. He's hitting around .330, but he's still without a HR. Morneau has been pretty good as well, hitting for power - though we'd like more - and a decent average. After that, the production fades.

Carlos Gomez is sneaking up on the .300 mark, and has 4 HR and a bunch of SBs. He also has nights where he is completely overmatched. If he were consistant, it'd be great... but he's not. He sure is fun to watch though!

Delmon Young has not lived up to expectations. I had high hopes for him and thought he would more than fill Hunter's shoes offensively. Wrong. He's batting about .275, which isn't horrible, but he lacks power. I think eventually he'll be ok - this year even - I'm just hoping for more.

Michael Cuddyer has not been very good. He can't hit .225 and justify the contract he just signed. It's gotta get better though right?

Brendan Harris has shown flashes offensively... but where is he going to end up? Shortstop, Second Base? My guess is as a utility infielder.

The rest of the offensive has been sub-par, so I really don't feel like talking about them.

Another issue is with the defense. The team just isn't doing the little things right. Simple things - hitting the cut-off man, throwing the ball accurately to the base, catching the ball at the base. It's getting frustrating; there are just too many errors.

The last issue is with the bullpen. It's simply been junk.

I'm hoping that when the injuries subside, the team will be able to get rolling. I'm just not sure if that's the possible.


PS - How about my call on David Cook? And my preliminary call on the Wolves: They take the European guy that is ranked highly. Danilo somethingrather. If not him, Brook Lopez.

No comments: