Sunday, May 4, 2008

Twins Sweep Tigers

It was quite the come-from-behind victory today at the Dome. After the 6-run Tiger first, I considered going home. I had two Gardenhire bobbleheads in hand (one thanks to the people in front of me), but thought I'd give it a chance. I'm glad I stayed.

My first observation today was seeing Matt Tolbert taking grounders at third. I thought that was a little surprising because Little Nicky Punto was also in the lineup today. Tolbert has played a lot of short and Punto has played a lot of third. What might that switch mean? It's purely speculation, but maybe we'll see the Adam Everett Experiment soon come to an end and see LNP become the everyday shortstop. Both Punto's bat and glove have been better than Everett so far this year. I don't know...

Sunday's Three Stars:
Joe Mauer - 2 for 4, 2 RBI, R. He's hit his stride and as he stepped up to bat with two on and down a run, I knew he was going to get the job done. His average continues to climb (.333); and I have to admit that my Mauer "Fan-dom" may be reaching an all-time high.
LNP - 1 for 3, 2B, 2 RBI, R. Punto's become a servicable major leaguer. I don't know how long it will last, but it's nice to see him perform. He got a huge hit that turned the tides today. I'll take it... as long he continues to hit.
Boof Bonser - 6 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 5 K, 0 BB, 99 pitches, no decision. I didn't think Boof was going to make it out of the first, let alone pitch 6 innings. Boy I was wrong. After the first inning debacle, I believe Boof was able to get through the next five innings with 2 hits and about 50 pitches. He was also able t0 stay composed, which is great in itself. There were (and still are) many questions about the rotation, but Bonser has solidified his spot.

Saturday's Three Stars:
Brian Bass - 4 IP, 3 H, W. Bass was able to pick up his first win by pitching four shutout innings after Baker left early with a groin strain. Games like this will keep him on the roster and get him a job (elsewhere in the league) next year.
Craig Monroe - 2 for 3, R, 2-run HR. With Gomez getting a day off (headaches), Monroe got a spot start in center. He contributed offensively by getting his 2nd HR, and with Kubel struggling, Monroe might find himself DH'ing more. (He did Sunday.) I guess we'll see...
Joe Mauer - 3 for 4, 2B. He's got his bat going.

It's appears that Kevin Slowey will come up from Rochester and make Scott Baker's start on Thursday. That will give the Twins two extra days to decide if Baker can start on Saturday, or if a trip to the DL is necessary. In any case where you injure, and immediately re-injure, the same muscle, a 15-day break is in line. I'm all for that, we need Baker to be a healthy contributor.

No comments: