Friday, May 2, 2008

Twins Tame Tigers

The Twins got back to .500 tonight with their third straight victory. They really poured it on the Tigers, beating them 11-1. Luckily, I got to witness the offensive barrage in person. (In fact, a BP home run ball went about two feet over my head. I may have had a chance to catch it, but I was struggling to get my glove on. I guess that teaches me not to read the Twins Record Book while watching BP.)

Three Stars:
Livan Hernandez - 7 IP, 8 H, ER, 2 BB, 4 Ks, 102 pitches. It was nice to see Livan have a good game after three not-so-good outings. His lone run was a solo HR by Ordonez, and it was a shot. Cabrera followed that with a double and Guillen with a single, but Hernandez was able to avoid further damage by getting a double play ball to end the inning. I don't think we've come to expect performances like this, but hey, we'll take them!
(Before naming any hitters, I want to point out that all 9 starters got at least one hit.)
Joe Mauer - 2 for 3, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB. Mauer has settled into the 3rd spot and become a cadalyst for the offense. I can be a little hard on #7 from time to time, but when he's swinging well, the whole offense goes. I'm hopeful that eventually it will work out to bat Mauer after Gomez, but as long as this is working out, I'm on board.
Michael Cuddyer - 2 for 5, 2 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI. He also played well in the field and was smart on the basepaths. So much has been going right, did it all start when Cuddyer came back? It's hard to say, but it's nice having our right-fielder back.

Other news:
Carlos Gomez took a shot to the head while stealing second base. I wasn't able to see exactly what happen, but it didn't look good. Go-Go spent a few minutes lying face down and not moving. Eventually, he got up and sat on the cart which took him away. I don't believe any additional tests were done. My guess is that he'll play tomorrow if he doesn't have a splitting headache... but who knows?
Carlos Gomes led off the game with a walk! A pleasant sight!
Delmon Young has quietly got his batting average up to .271. This is 35 points higher than 2 weeks ago. He also has 6 SBs. Now, if we could only get a HR.
Brendan Harris knocked out his second HR of the year.

Twins going for #4 tomorrow night! Bobblehead game on Sunday.

No comments: