Thursday, May 8, 2008

Gomez makes history; Twins lose series

As I mentioned last night, Carlos Gomez had a chance to make history with a single in the ninth. And he was able to complete it. There have been a few times recently that I wish I had a DVD burner, and this was one of them. At some point in the next couple of years, I want to have the capability to be able to record a game and immediately burn it to DVD, and have a collection of games. I think "Carlos Gomez hits for first cylce in 22 years" would have been a good place to start.

Quick summaries of each of the last two games:
Thursday afternoon the Twins jumped out to an early lead, but Slowey couldn't hold it. The bullpen didn't help much as the Twins lose the rubber match 6-2.
Three Stars:
Joe Mauer - 2 for 3, RBI, BB. It seems like I mention Mauer after every game he plays. He's got his average up to .346, so he probably deserves it.
Matt Tolbert -1 for 4, RBI. Tolbert has seemed to do enough to take time away from Mike Lamb. At the very least, it appears that Tolbert will replace Nick Punto as the team's utility reserve at season's end.
Kevin Slowey - 5 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 4 K, 83 pitches. Although he was given a lead and failed to hold onto it, I really think this start shows some promise. He demonstrated great control with no walks and only allowed 4 baserunners in 5 IP. Granted, two of those baserunners hit home runs. I really think this is a step in the right direction.

As for the Wednesday night game, I'm only going to name two stars, the guys who stole the show:
Carlos Gomez - 4 for 6, 2B, 3B, HR (CYCLE!), 3 RBI, 2 R. What else needs to be said? Gomez hits for the cycle in a 13-1 rout. That's enough for me.
Livan Hernandez - 9 IP (CG), 9 H, BB, 1 ER, 3 K. The Twins got their first complete game of the year, and it was almost a shut-out.

I'd like to honorably mention Little Nicky Putno who added 5 RBI on 2 hits from the 9-hole. His 3-run double in the sixth really blew this one open.

More tomorrow...

No comments: