Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Twins and American Idol

I've decided to become a blogger. Apparently, I think I'm interesting enough to write stuff that other people may find somewhat worthwhile. I guess that remains to be seen. Anyway, I'll probably focus on things I know a little bit about (sports) and other things I spend my time doing (watching TV, family stuff). So on to my first post...

I've read more than enough stuff about the Twins extending Joe Nathan's contract. I'll add my two cents: No matter what the Twins do, there will be people questioning their decision. On the flip side, there will be others that applaud the Twins' willingness to spend a little money. Here's my take: The casual fan will think that the Twins made a good move. They locked up an "elite" closer until 2011 and didn't pay more than market value.

The more serious fan has a completely different view. A casual fan turns on the TV and hopes the Twins win today. The more serious fan follows baseball year-round and hopes for decisions that help the team win today and (maybe more importantly) next year. I'm not a huge believer in building "for the future". To me, the future goes no further than next year. Anything past that is uncertain. (You want examples: Kurt Warner, Mike Hampton, Tariq Abdul-Wahad.) So I'm going to look at it this way...

Did the deal make the Twins better this year? NO! He was already under contract... and a closer can't win games if the team is behind.

Did the deal make the Twins better next year? NO! Looking strictly at the contract, it ties up an additional $11 million or so next year. Though I will give the Twins credit for ripping up the current deal and making it a non-escalating contract. (Had they not given him an extention, they probably would have been forced to trade him in July. That WOULD make the Twins better next year.)

Anything past next year is anyone's guess... but here's mine:
Joe Nathan will not be an elite closer at 35 years old.

Hopefully, I will be wrong. Liriano comes back healthy, Livan eats innings and Slowey, Baker and Boof set the world on fire. That would give Joe Nathan some extra value... but at this point, none of that is likely.

At the very least, the Twins saved themselves a pair a pants (the ones with the money burning a hole in the pockets) and kept a face of the franchise. Obviously it's been a rough offseason and the thought of losing Santana, Hunter AND Nathan would have hurt a little bit more... but not too much.

MOVING ON...
American Idol is down to their Final 10. Here's my recap:
Those who should sleep well tonight: David A., David C., Brooke W., Syesha M. and Michael J.
Those who will be nervous, but ok: Carly S. and Chikezie
Bottom 3: Kristy Lee C., Jason C. and Ramiele M.

MY FEARLESS PREDICTION: Jason and Ramiele sweat it out, but ultimately, Ramiele (and the hideous outfits) go home.

That's all I have for tonight. Hope to have more tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your Nathan take. I understand Nathan is one of the better closers in the game, but that won't help the Twins this year or even next year. The Twins have too many other holes to fill to think about locking that much money with a closer. Considering we have another guy, Neshek, that could do as good of a job as Nathan for a lot cheaper. I still hope they consider trading him at the deadline... That'd be the smart thing to do. The closing position might be the most overrated position in all of sports. I could do it if the Twins gave me a shot! Haha. With that, GO TWINS!!!!