Sunday, March 30, 2008

Psycho T (and today's games)

I was too tired after the UNC/Louisville game to post. But there was something I really wanted to say... and I was going to sleep on it to decide if I actually was going to post it. I am.

"Tyler Hansbrough won't be a sucessful NBA player."

I like Tyler Hansbrough and I like UNC. But after watching last night, I'm even more convinced that Hansbrough won't have great success in The League. Don't get me wrong, his work ethic is unmatched and that will get him a shot. I expect him to be drafted, most likely in the 1st round pf the 2009 draft. He'll be 24 by the time he plays his first NBA game. (By the time LeBron James is 24, he'll be a three-time All-Star Game MVP and possibly NBA MVP, along with 11,000+ total points. Four times what Psycho T will ever score.) For a guy being hands down the best player in the ACC and, aside from Michael Beasley, the best player in the nation, it's tough to believe he's the 3rd best prospect on his team. Maybe that's why I like college basketball so much more than the NBA.

My NBA prediction: Late 1st round pick in 2009. (Goes to an already good team.) He'll sign a 2 yr/$1.9 million guaranteed contract. He may break into the rotation. But at 6-8, 245, he won't be able to bang with the 4s, nor is he athletic enough to play the 3. He'll strictly be an energy guy - a la Mark Madsen. Because he's reached his peak physcially, there's not a lot of upside left. He can probably stick around for a few years after his guaranteed contract is up, but by 2013, there's a pretty good chance that Tyler "Psycho T" Hansbrough will be selling real estate... which is too bad.

As for today's games:
Memphis at Texas - Do I dare pick against Memphis again? How much of an advantage does Texas have playing in Houston? I think that Memphis should win this game, but Texas does have a chance. But for that chance to be reality DJ Augustin has to really outplay Derrick Rose. And I don't see that happening. Memphis by 8 and moving on...

Kansas vs Davidson - I think Stephen Curry is going to finally meet his match in Brandon Rush. My issue is that I don't think Bill Self is a good enough coach to realize that Rush needs to guard Curry. Rush will be able to out-muscle Curry, something no one has been able - or tried - to do.
My personal feeling is that Self is going to try to guard Curry with Russell Robinson, and I don't think it's going to work. If Rush guards Curry, Kansas by 12. If Self brings someone else at Curry, all bets are off.

No comments: