Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Baseball Draft

I'm not exactly sure why, but I love sports drafts.
I consider the NFL the greatest sport, and follow college football closely, so I always have interest in the NFL draft. It doesn't matter what team is drafting where, I follow it. For some reason, I would say that I followed the NFL draft less this year than any other of the previous 10-15 drafts.
I'm not a big fan of the NBA. In the last 5 years, I've probably watched less than a dozen NBA games start to finish. This year, I watched the T'wolves opener, that was it. I usually catch a few playoff games, this year I haven't. I do, however, have interest in the this year's finals. I could see myself watching a few of those. My interest in the NBA peaks near the end of June during the NBA draft. I will watch that closely... too closely. But it seems like my interest in the league will simmer within a week of the draft.

I think the great thing about these drafts is that every team believes they will take "the guy" that will make them instant contenders. They'll be making huge amounts of money, and the pressure, from Day 1, is on.

Tomorrow marks the first day of the MLB first-player draft. Last year was the first year it was televised. The fact that it is not a huge television event is just one of many differences between this and the other drafts.
The eligibility rules are different. Foreign players are free-agents. Can you imagine the NBA if all the foreign players were free agents?
Another big difference with this draft is whether or not certain players are "signable". If a player in the NBA (Steve Francis) or NFL (Eli Manning) is drafted by a team that isn't desirable, there aren't a lot of options for the player; the team is still going to take them. Eventually, the player will get traded, but the drafting team will make a haul. Not the case in baseball. Unless a player is a college senior, they have options - like going back to school. Only seniors are lame-ducks, but in their cases, they've probably been drafted twice (or more) before. When you can re-enter the draft a number of times, you have a little power.
Finally - and what I consider the biggest difference - comes the fact that players who are taken in tomorrow's draft won't become household names until 2010 0r 2011 at the soonest. There is no immediate help. There are very few players whose names you'll recognize from watching SportsCenter.

Thinking about these things left me wondering what I should post about the draft. Should I create a mock draft? Pointless. I decided I'm just going to take some names that I hear the Twins have interest in and post some things I've heard/read about them. That way, if any of these guys become Twins, you'll have some idea about them.

(Players are listed in the order that I prefer)
Zach Collier, OF, Chino Hills HS (CA) - Only 17, considered a "toolsy" outfielder. As much uncertainty as there is with players at the lower levels, I would have a hard time adding another OF to the stable that already includes a lot of young guys, including Joe Benson and Ben Revere at low-A. With that being said, the system lacks a lot of power and Collier projects as a power-hitting corner OF. There is definitely a lack of players with that "power" quality.
Brett Lawrie, C/3B, Brookswood SS (B.C.) - Doesn't have a true position, but is a power hitter. The Twins have been good with Canadien players (Koskie, Morneau). Lawrie has moved up and around on draft boards - mentioned as high as #7. If both him and Collier are there at 14, I hope they take one of them. Either would be okay with me, I'm keeping Collier above because he has a projectable position.
Aaron Hicks, OF/RHP, Woodrow Wilson HS (CA) - Many teams have reportedly shied off because Hicks refuses to sign as a pitcher. The Twins, alledgedly, want him as an OF. I hope he's gone by 14, so it's not considered. However, if Lawrie and Collier continue to rise and are gone, Hicks wouldn't be a reach.
Ethan Martin, 3B/RHP, Stevens County (CA) - Another 2-way player. I could really see the Twins making Martin their guy as either a 3B or a P. At this point, he's not super high on my list because I don't know if I should view him as a P or 3B (although indications are that he, too, only wants to be a position player).
Brett DeVall, LHP, Niceville HS (FL) - Big, strong lefty. The Twins really like players described in those three words. Not overly powerful, but has command and the ability to develop a few more pitches. I would assume that Twins will take DeVall at 27 or 31.
Isaac Galloway, OF, Los Osos HS (CA) - Similar to Collier, only a lower ceiling. If the Twins are dead-set on adding an OF and Collier is gone at 14, Galloway would make sense at 27 or 31.
Christian Friedrich, LHP, Eastern Kentucky - Considered the 2nd-best college LHP available. Although he's probably the most talented guy on this list, I'm not a big fan. He would fall right into the age range that is stacked with pitching prospects in the system. Unless the Twins consider him a #1, I hope they pass at 14. He should be gone by 27.
Anthony Hewitt, SS, The Salisbury School (CT) - I've heard a lot of teams between 14 and 27 are hot on Hewitt. I'm not. He's a SS now, but will need to be moved to CF. As a MIF, I'm listening, but a move to OF? Has a lot of "raw" talent. For me, only if he's available at 31.
Jemile Weeks, 2B, Miami - I cringe when I read a guy is a "table-setter" because that's what Weeks is, and that's what the Twins like. I'm hoping the combination of Casilla having a good year and Rickie Weeks having a bad year will be enough to scare the Twins off Weeks. Plus, you can only "set the table" so much before someone else needs to take care of it.
Brad Hand, LHP, Chaska HS (MN) - A local prep lefty. The Twins have always felt the need to protect their backyard. Could be considered at 27 or 31, more likely to be taken in the 2nd round.
My Twins projections: Ethan Martin at 14; Brett DeVall at 27; Brad Hand at 31.
My ideal Twins draft: Zack Collier at 14; Brett Lawrie (somehow) falls to 27; Brett DeVall or Brad Hand at 31.

That's all I have, tune into ESPN2 tomorrow at 1pm to see what happens. I'm thinking the Twins should be drafting around 2:15, 3:30 and 4:00, but that all depends on how long teams take. They can't trade picks, so it could move much faster... so don't schedule your draft-watching around my times.

No comments: