Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Not much new...

As you know - or may not - the Hawks weren't able to get it done in the State Semis; but it sure was a fun year.

There isn't much new to report. Apparently the Twins have offered Casey Blake a contract. Details aren't certain, but a 2 year deal with an option for a third, at a little over $6m per year. I go back and forth about what I think about signing him. At this moment, I'm against signing him. I think some combination of Buscher/Harris/Macri/Tolbert/Punto (yeah, Punto) can get it done. It lacks punch offensively, but the whole team did last year and that turned out ok.

Things I would like the team to accomplish this offseason (in order):
  • I would like to see a reliever brought in. I don't have a preference who it should be... but the bullpen needs to be upgraded. If Reyes accepts arbitration - though I doubt he will - that will fill the roster.
  • Get a left-side infielder - preferably a SS. If JJ Hardy can be had, go get him. The Brewers need a starting pitcher and the Twins have a few (extra). It would probably cost Perkins or Blackburn plus a prospect. That is a reasonable price.
  • Unclutter the OF. Some believe that having 5 OFs is a good thing. I don't. Span needs to stay. Gomez needs to stay. Young - yes, Young - needs to stay. That leaves Kubel and Cuddyer. Personally, I think either one is expendable (although I like Kubel's power). If the team could get anything with any value for Cuddyer, I wouldn't mind seeing that trade be made.

I have a feeling that Randy Ruiz won't be on the 40-man by the 1st of January. I also think Bobby Korecky's roster spot is in jeopardy. I think the Twins made a mistake adding Drew Butera (even though he probably would be lost in the Rule 5 draft).

The last thing I've noticed is that the Twins currently have a lot of LHP on their 40-man roster: Francisco Liriano, Glen Perkins, Craig Breslow, Jose Morales and Brian Duensing. Dennys Reyes could potentially be added to that list. Last year coming in, I believe it was only Perkins and Reyes (with Liriano injured).

I'm curious to see how it's all going to play out.

No comments: