Friday, December 12, 2008

A few roster moves...

Last time I posted I said that I thought Randy Ruiz's roster spot was in jeopardy. He was released the next day. I also said that I thought Bobby Korecky's roster spot was in jeopardy...

The Twins big "splash" this offseason is the re-signing of SS Nick Punto. I put SS because Gardie said he will start there. As much as I dislike Little Nicky Punto, I was going to be ok with them taking him back. And then I heard what Gardie said... and then I saw the figures (2 years, $8.5 m, option for the 3rd year). It bothers me a little, but I'm sure it will bother me more when the first time he slides head-first into 1st base. Bat 8th and hit over .260 and I'll lay off.

The Twins also acquired RHP Jason Jones from the Yankess in the Rule V Draft. They need to keep him on their active roster or offer him back to the Yankees. He will have a chance to compete for a role in the bullpen. Hey, if the Twins can keep Brian Bass on the active roster for almost an entire season, I see no reason why this guy won't stick. I think this also makes Bonser, Humber and the aforementioned Korecky more expendable.

The Twins lost 3 guys in the Rule V draft. In my opinion, none are worth mentioning.

I fully expect the Twins to make another roster move, possibly tomorrow. I anticipate the Twins clearly a spot on their 40-man (my guess: Korecky) and signing former Astros 3B Ty Wigginton. I can see him signing for 2 years, $16 m. (09: 7m, 10: 8m, 11: option for 9m with a 1m buyout.)

Just remember, you read it hear first...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was also a little miffed about the Punto signing. But here's what bothers me more. After checking out the offseason player tracker, I see that the Twins are the ONLY MLB TEAM not to have completed a trade or acquired a free agent. Most teams have half a dozen or more transactions, and we've got Punto for at least 2 more years. Wonderful.